Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ni hao!

(Pronounced knee-how, we'll be saying that a lot...)

So yes, after many allusions, rumors, and panicked-looking faces, it is now an open fact that we are moving to China - Suzhou, China to be exact.

Curt received an offer to be plant manager, and as it's a great opportunity that we can't pass up, you will soon be reading of our experiences living in a new country... so here are a few answers to the questions we most commonly receive:

Where will we be? Suzhou, China about 100km outside of Shanghai
How long will we be there? Anywhere from 1-3 years (I'm shooting for 2 or less)
What will I be doing? To be determined - I'm discussing options with my work at the moment but it's up in the air
What are y’all doing with Maverick? To be determined (and yes, this is what keeps me up at night)
Where will we live? A high rise condo where many other expats live with some nice views of a lake, and fireworks all the time - LOL
What are y’all doing with the house? Leasing it out (know anyone?)
When are you leaving? Curt is already back and forth and Tasha will join him in February/March timeframe

We are hoping for as many visitors as possible - we have a guest room begging for friends to come stay with us, so I hope that many of you will splurge and take the opportunity to see China while you have a free place to stay! :-) Our only request if we are blessed to receive you as a guest is that you bring a comfort from home for us (break n' bake chocolate chip cookies, Lucky Charms, CoCo Wheats, or something like that). Seriously, though, anyone is welcome and it is more affordable than you'd think - ticket prices start at $800 roundtrip, which heck, these days you can't even get to New York for that, right?!

The good news is that Curt, who of the two of us is more averse to this sort of thing, has adjusted well enough while he is over there, and we do think it will be easy for us to make friends as there is a large expat community there. And other GREAT news is that we have a gym membership already at a gym that is an American franchise, and they have HIP HOP classes! Yes! That might be interesting, but I'm looking forward to it, and I'm happy enough that we will have a gym complete with normal equipment, it's really nice with a pool, and they have classes that I enjoy taking (along with hip hop they have pilates, yoga, belly-dancing, etc.) so hopefully I will occupy myself having fun there - haha!

So of course things are busy in between daily life activities to try and get us ready and mobilized for this new adventure...

Also, in one week I run the Houston Half Marathon which, with my fasciitis whatever, I'm getting nervous about (no improvements there, I've just been trying to stretch and not tax it so somehow I can run the whole thing on Sunday)...

So that's our big news - stay tuned for more details, and in the meantime here are a few pictures of our new home (they're a little dark as it was night time when Curt was checking it out, but it is furnished, which is nice, though we'll have some work to do to make it "home") - enjoy, and again, we hope you will plan to visit us!

Living Room

Master Bedroom

View

Another View

Dining Area

Kitchen




Love,

No comments: