Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Day In the Life (or Two)

Sometimes people ask me what it is I do over here while Curt’s at work, so here’s a good sampling from the last couple of days.

Yesterday: Wake up as Curt is leaving for work.

Make oatmeal, or if I’m feeling like a treat, fix myself some Lucky Charms. Lucky Charms are a treat (read: to be rationed) because it’s expensive here and you can hardly ever find it. Our market here got a shipment in last week and Curt and I spent $100 US dollars on the 8 boxes – every box they had – and they are small boxes at that… When you’re here and missing things from home, it’s worth it. Yesterday was a Lucky Charms day – it was raining… again. :-/

Chat with family and friends from home online (thank the Lord for the internet).

Depending on what I have going on for the day, here I either work out or shower. Yesterday, I showered because I had lunch with friends!

Usually though, I just make my own lunch – usually leftovers, or something like PB&J or mac and cheese, or Chef Boyardee (things that I likely brought from home).

Before my lunch outing, though, Han took me to go pick up my new cashmere coat, and not a moment too soon, the rain was turning into sleet so my hooded coat came in handy!




Lunch with friends was great. We went to a Tibetan restaurant and ordered WAY too much food… it ended up costing about $7 US dollars per person and we were stuffed!




The afternoon is usually for errands, or working out, or if it’s gross outside, maybe a movie or a book. Yesterday after lunch me and my friends went to the Flea Market to kill a couple of hours and did some exploring. It was indoor, which was great because it was sleeting, and still freezing inside because there is no heat… the weather has been crazy. At the flea market you can buy pretty much anything you could ever imagine. My purchases included two pairs of earrings, totaling about $7, so not too bad! Definitely a place to remember though, in case I should need... anything!

By the time we were finished, I still had time to run to the Pearl Market to get some jewelry to send to family back home.



Then I made dinner, we enjoyed the fountain and firework show from our living room, and settled in to watch a movie, and then reading before bed.




Today: Wake up when Curt’s about to leave.

Eat oatmeal for breakfast while I talked to Mom and Aunt Whitni.

Got some work done around the “house.”

Packed a little for Hong Kong this weekend!

Showered up, got some more work done, made chicken nuggets and leftover mac and cheese for lunch.

Met Lisa downstairs so we could go get rings made near Pet Street for our Sea Pearls! I brought some “old” gold from home, and am having a custom ring made here… wax mold should be ready in 4 days, woohoo!

When we were finished with “Jimmy,” Lisa showed me Pet Street, which was… interesting. Not as horrible as I imagined, actually, so that’s good, but I still found myself praying for the poor animals as I passed by stalls. Some of the dogs didn’t look too healthy, and I think I noticed a Rottie with kennel cough… some of the dogs are beautiful, though, and I’m hoping all of the animals will find good homes. The good thing is that the Chinese seem to adore their pets, so just hoping they aren’t in the shops for too long…







Then we bought some flowers, and some fish for her kids’ tank on the street over. The flowers were so pretty! The Chinese definitely do have some green thumbs!



Then, back in where we live (everything here is spread out, so to get to each place is usually 20+ minutes), she dropped me off so I could go get a massage! I usually get one per week, and it’s heaven… bliss, even. Sigh! Afterwards, I walked home... even though it's cold (in the 40s), it was strangely clear outside, and it was nice to see things without looking through haze. (Below picture is our old home, Horizon on the left, and our new home, the Crowne, on the right).



Then home, and quickly got ready for a company dinner at a local hot pot restaurant, where we spent our evening with Curt’s coworkers.

Then finished up packing as we leave for Hong Kong in the morning, and now writing this post!

All in all, I can keep myself “busy” here, but of course my definition of “busy” here is different than my definition of “busy” at home. Everything is relative! And yes, as good as it sounds here, remember the grass is always greener! :-)

No comments: