Thought I'd take a quick minute to post some pics from the Houston Half Marathon from last Sunday, and give a short update!
So I went skiing this past week which was GREAT - the weather was perfect, very much like spring skiing which of course is my *favorite* and the mountain was pretty empty as far as people go... we went to Steamboat to see the Cowboy Downhill which was comical... a bunch of cowboys on skis and boards (some of which who have never skiied EVER) who are in town for the Denver Livestock Show & Rodeo trying to compete for prizes by going through an obstacle course on the slopes - hilarious and the purpose for our visit as my mom has always wanted to see this "spectacle." It was great - of course a lot of wipeouts by some rough and tumble men that would make most people not want to get back up, but we had to remember these were bull riders and bareback bronc riders, etc. so if they totally ate it they just got right back up and kept on going... it was great! We had an awesome time - it was me, Kendyl, Mom, and Michael and although a really quick trip, good quality family time (Mikey is pretty much like family - probably the closest thing I have to a little brother I would say)!
As far as jury duty goes - man, what a long story... it makes me tired to even think about writing it all down in a blog post, but basically I took it really seriously and it was an interesting experience I won't soon forget. What was scary about it was how many criminal testimonies we had to hear and it really opened my eyes to another world that we all tend to forget about in our respective "bubbles" of daily life... I heard testimonies from criminals that had been in and out of jail so many times from everything to DWI's, to drugs, to burglary of habitation (houses) and commercial (businesses), and apparently there was supposed to be a murderer testify as well that didn't show up (WHEW!) so needless to say it was very interesting. Despite their rap sheets, I listened intently to what they had to say and believed them, for the most part as they didn't really have anything to gain by taking the stand (on the contrary, to the subject they were speaking about they had a lot of pride to lose, and I can only imagine how it was probably difficult for a lot of them, despite their pasts). It revolved around a incident of sexual misconduct, but that's all I'm going to say about it here - if you want to know more I can share with you via conversation. I thought the system was very fair, though, and I enjoyed doing my civic duty!
And here are a few pics of the half marathon - I know I said I'd write more but I'm not really sure what else there is to say, really?? I mean it was totally great and I was so proud of myself, and I'm really going to try and keep up the running thing (like doing a long run on the weekends and shorter ones during the week) so I don't lose it, you know? I did 5 miles yesterday which was the first time I'd run since last Sunday, and it was fine... I can tell a few of my joints are still a little sore in my feet, but I think skiing really helped my muscles stretch some so muscle-wise I was fine!
Hope everyone has had a great week and enjoy the pics!
Love,
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment