Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My Savannah...



Some sad days ahead...

My dog, Savannah will be 10 by the end of summer, and on Saturday I noticed a bump on her "waist" where her ribs end... I took her to the vet Monday to check it out, and after an ultrasound Tuesday it doesn't look so good.

The vet examined her and said due to the location and in feeling her other organs, it is most likely cancer of the spleen, and it is the spleen and/or other organs that are enlarged. He stated to know for sure she would need an ultrasound, and that their lady would be coming Tuesday, so we took her back early Tuesday morning to be dropped off - he said I could leave her there in the kennel that night, but who when they find out their dog has cancer is going to then leave them alone for the evening? :-) So Tuesday she got an ultrasound by the woman who does a mobile ultrasound service to the area vets, and it turns out it is a cancerous tumor though her spleen is fine, but it is obstructing the view to her kidneys, so assuming it is "going for" her kidneys, and this is inoperable, there is nothing that we can do except enjoy the rest of our time with her.

I am so heartbroken - she is my princess and is too sweet to suffer. The vet said we had anywhere from a week to 3-4 months - it's just too hard to tell as dogs can operate on 1/4 of their kidneys, so we'll just have to see how long she can hold out without suffering from the pain (and I'll know this he said when she starts refusing to eat and/or vomiting often, so at least there is an indicator). I refuse to be one of those people that allows a dog to suffer b/c they are too selfish to let go, and on the other hand I can't imagine her not being here... I just pray that dogs to go to heaven, b/c I can't imagine my heaven without her. I am just thankful for this special time we will have together, and the time I have to prepare myself to be strong for her when it is her time.

Thanks for any prayers, and just pray for her strength and no pain on her part - whatever will be will be, but more time would be ideal for me if she is ok.
I am having an early birthday party for her on Sunday at 4 p.m. with cake, treats, and anyone is welcome to come and join us in celebrating how special she is and how wonderful she has been since we've been together. Email me if you have any questions, and thanks everyone for your support.

Tasha

No comments: